Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First time posting? Introduce yourself here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse845

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been posting on here for a while, but I never introduced myself. I'm Jesse. I've been mountain biking for a few years now. I mostly visit 909, where I have seen some of you guys, and I like to ride at Ferncliff, Mills / Norrie, Minnewaska, Stewart and Lippman. When visiting in-laws in the Adirondacks, I ride old logging roads through the wilderness for miles.
I live in the city of Poughkeepsie, but I don't like riding Vassar Farms very much. I saw a coyote pup there once. That was cool.
I am challenged by intermediate trails. I frequently push my bike through steep rock gardens and power climbs, but I hope to ride through them one day. If I didn't wait until I was 30 to start mountain biking, I would probably have been fearless enough to try things above my skill level without worrying about getting hurt. I was walking my bike down the steep rocky section on Anthill at 909, and a young woman flew by me on her bike. That was emasculating, but I still have fun, and that's what counts.
Wheel and Heel in Wappingers Falls is my shop of choice. The guy in Pleasant Valley is ok too.
I ride a 2011 Giant hardtail 29er that I have slowly upgraded into a beautiful machine that is great for cross country and trail use, and I recently had a Trek Rumblefish built up with a 2x10 XT drivetrain. My wife says that the Rumblefish is the last bike that I will buy, and I have tried to explain to her that I don't own a fatbike yet. She just doesn't understand. Fat biking the snowmobile trails in the Adirondacks would be awesome!
I probably won't attend club meetings at Keegans because I'm a recovering alcoholic, and that Hurricane Kitty is just too good to pass up, but I would like to help out with trail maintenance activities in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/jesse.sutherland.923
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jesse! Welcome and thanks for telling us about yourself! It's good to challenge yourself, be sure to check out Dawn's (SunieD) rides...you will be among a supportive group of riders of lots of skill levels and you will have a blast! Meetings are likely floating to various locations, such as Overlook Mountain Bikes for the May meeting and other less alcohol-focused venues, so I hope you may be able to make it at some point!

Don't lose hope for that fat bike...did you see the screaming deals Steve Lei posted????
Sunie D

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the new rider/ easy rider rides..casual and fun!!
Sunie D

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the new rider/ easy rider rides..casual and fun!!
Galeo

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to MTN biking name is Robert. Live in Goshen NY, I have been on the site just have yet to introduce myself.
brooklyn!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: New outdoors store in Phoenicia Reply with quote

Hi all,

My name is Tim and I signed up for the forum a while back but never really posted. Haven't ridden much in the Catskills. Hit up Onteora Lake a couple of times and really liked it! Jockey Hill looks like a maze would like to wait for a guided tour!

Anyway, my fiancé and I are opening a camping/hiking supply store in Phoenicia this weekend and want you all to know. We'll have camelbaks, cliff bars, cliff shot, nuun, and other little things you may need. Based on your feedback, I'd be happy to carry tubes, chain oil, and other handy stuff for mountain bikers.

We're going to be in Phoenicia at 60 Main St. on the boardwalk.

Hope to see some of you there! I'd like to come to Jockey Hollow for the Lark in the Park ride.

p.s. I don't live in Brooklyn, so please excuse the username!

check us out here: https://www.facebook.com/StorehouseNY

All the best!

Tim
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Galeo! Welcome to the forums hope to see you on the trails!

Brooklyn! Welcome and I look forward to checking out the store next time I'm out that way! There is a ride at Jockey every Tuesday at 5:30, btw...soon you will probably need a light!
amnesia999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: hello there Reply with quote

Just introducing myself, I joined IMBA and thought to check out my local chapter Smile

I started riding Sept last year and have gotten quite swept up, jumped into the deep end recently with a Breezer Repack and am loving it. If work permits, I hope to join in a group ride soon.

Here's my blog http://paulangling.wordpress.com/

Last edited by amnesia999 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Hope to see you on the trail sometime soon!
mannyfnz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.. My name is Manny and I've just gotten back into mountain biking within the past year or so. I'm interested in starting out on some easier group rides and look forward to meeting you..
cdub

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. There's a group ride on Tuesdays @ 909, which usually splits in "easy" and "regular" skills/pace groups.

http://www.fatsinthecats.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2327&start=140
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, the 'easy riders' are not at 909 every tuesday, they vary locations.
The usual group ride tuesday 5:30 @ 909 is an intermediate-ish pace.
rmd0311

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.,

Second post here... The first was an ad for my soon to be replaced Cannondale F7.

I bought my first mountain bike mentioned above in 2010, and barely touched it for 2 years. Went down to Vassar Farms, very close, once or twice. Nothing serious. I bought my wife the same bike but female version and she has maybe been on it 3-4 times. It was not until my son, got him a cheap specialized in 2011, got the bug in 2013 that we started really riding. We discovered the 909's through this site and visited weekly, alternating with Vassar Farms and some road biking on the MTB's. Last year, doing the red trail, his crappy Specialized cracked the frame on a hard drop. He used his mothers medium female cannondale the remainder of the season.

As the season approaches. I tried to give my son my Extra Large F7, but the guys at Bikeway advised against it if I wanted to have grandchildren one day. So, we will both start the season with new 29ers him with a Cannondale Trail 5 and me a Trail 3 both 29ers.

We are very excited for the season to start, even if it will be delayed one more week. Don't want to go out this weekend and risk breaking something on the Cannondale I'm selling. But next weekend, or as soon as my trail 3 comes in, we start.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome rmd0311! I'm a frequent rider at 909 myself and live in POK as well. I don't really ride Vassar anymore...just not enough trails and mileage there for my taste. You should branch out more and discover the other trails to ride (Stewart, Illinois Mtn in Highland, Jockey Hill in Kingston to name 3). Hopefully I'll see you at 909!
rmd0311

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefmatesam wrote:
Welcome rmd0311! I'm a frequent rider at 909 myself and live in POK as well. I don't really ride Vassar anymore...just not enough trails and mileage there for my taste. You should branch out more and discover the other trails to ride (Stewart, Illinois Mtn in Highland, Jockey Hill in Kingston to name 3). Hopefully I'll see you at 909!

That is the plan for this year, really wanted to upgrade for that reason. Vassar is lacking, but it's so close that I rather do 1hr there, then nothing at all. Only ever visit it weekdays, to get a ride in during the week. I live right off Vassar Road, so it's literally a couple of minutes away. Look forward to it...
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmd0311 wrote:
chiefmatesam wrote:

That is the plan for this year, really wanted to upgrade for that reason. Vassar is lacking, but it's so close that I rather do 1hr there, then nothing at all. Only ever visit it weekdays, to get a ride in during the week. I live right off Vassar Road, so it's literally a couple of minutes away. Look forward to it...

I hear yah...I'm about 10 mins from Vassar myself (I live near Crestwood Park), but found I outgrew it and could spin the entire legal mtn bike trails in about 40 mins. I can make it to 909 in about 17 mins, so usually worth it for me to go ride there.
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a Po'k resident & I used to ride Vassar when it was a gem. Too depressing what its become (& Im on the West side). I'd rather ride either bridge over to Illinois & or Franny Reese.
Jesse845

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMD, for some non-technical riding, try the trails at norrie point / mills mansion in Staatsburg. (Stay off of the white trail or you will end up in the river.)
Ferncliff Forest in Rhinebeck also has good trails. Both should be about the same distance as 909 for you.
If you are looking for more miles, and nice scenery, Lake Minnewaska is a must!

Tim, I didn't realize that there was more than a mile or two of rideable trails at Franny Reese. I only know of the one loop, and the trail up to the overlook. Are there more trails that I'm not aware of?
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franny Reese does have only that much & its doubletrack, but it is a nice enough spin after work etc. Also its a great cool-down after doing the Illinois trails.
Back when I was riding @ Vassar there was nothing like http://www.schatzispubpk.com/, so big pluses now for the loss of Vassar trails.
rael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: First Post and looking for riding info at Stewart Reply with quote

Hello, this is my first post. I live far (Long Island) but I have done some places like Minnewaska, Lippman and Stewart. I was at the "Ride the Buffer" about 7 years ago and had a great time. I bought a nice trail map but didn't have a chance to go back. I want to bring some friends and family to Stewart who are new to MTB, including 2 kids (9 and 11) since we will be in the area a few times this year but first I want to go and get familiar with the trails so I do not get them into areas that are difficult for them. I have taken them to easy single track trails here in Long island and they do fine (almost no climbs).

Can somebody recommend a route in Stewart of maybe 6 miles that is easy for beginners? a combination of paved roads and some short single track trails would be fine. Looking for mostly flat trails. Not sure if there are trail markers or landmarks I can go by. Any insight would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: