Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1x10?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse845

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: 1x10? Reply with quote

I have a new hardtail trail bike in the works. (Jamis Exile frame and Rockshox Revelation XX 120 mm fork)
I'm considering a 1x10 set up. I'm concerned that the granny gear won't be quite granny enough for some steep climbs.
Does anyone have advise for me? I'm primarily a 909 guy, and I visit Stewart, Ferncliff and the Roosevelt Farm Lane Wink in Hyde Park on occasion. This hardtail will definitely be my Minnewaska / Mohonk bike.
Thanks
Jesse
nd54

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of converting my 2x10 to 1x10. Wolftooth, one up and hope make a granny gear (40 or 42t) that will fit into the 11-36 cassette. I also picked up the wolftooth 16t sprocket for a sram cassette. Essentially you remove the 15 & 17t sprockets and add the (40/42t) and the 16t. This way you don't have a big jump in gears. I ended up with a 30t raceface narrow wide as the front sprocket. Use this link to play with the gear ratio's.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Hope this info helps. For me I wanted the bike to drop some weight and have one less thing to break.
Jesse845

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's good info!
Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good help with gearing from the Sheldon Brown site. If I used it right, the 30/40 of a 1x10 is close to the granny of 26/36. Shimano rear der's are supposed to not do as swell as SRAM's on the 40+ cog so one up offers this "Radr cage": http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0284/9430/products/OneUp-Components-RADr-Cage-Front-Back-Green-Front_1024x1024.jpg?v=1416958022
Both Overlook & Revolution shops are familiar with the conversions. Those parts should work with my Kermit Green nicely Mr. Green
nd54

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sram rear derailleur is better at handling the large 40/42t granny gear on the cassette. I ended up with the 30t front with the 40t rear and adding the 16t in the middle of the 11-36 cassette. I gave the best range of gears for me and I don't want to have an issue with the rear derailleur not shift well on the big granny sprocket. If you have a shimano rear derailleur I would not go larger than the 40T. See link below for the shimano. A longer B-screw can help with adjustment on the larger granny gear.

http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/products/25-mm-b-screw
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cage I posted is the fix for Shimano. And, their big cogs come with a 16t.
oh_blinding_light

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the oneup 42 tooth gear on my Krampus. It was ride-able without it but long grinds up hills in Mohonk and Minnewaska got kind of old.

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/collections/all-products/products/42-tooth-sprocket

You wind up with the range of something like the SRAM XG 11 speed cassettes for a lot less coin.

I put a raceface wide narrow 30 tooth chainring on the front. Gives plenty of low end options at the expense of not being able to do much pedaling above 25 mph. The wide narrow chainring means you can probably get away without having a chain guide.

The 42 tooth gear installation is pretty straightforward if you have a cassette cracker tool. I didn't even need a new chain.

The chainring swap I wound up having Revolution do (thanks Steve). Turns out it is really hard to tell the difference between a 25 torx (comes on some more complete multitools) and the 27 torx bolts on most chainrings. Plus you need a funny tool to hold the nut while you try to turn the bolt: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=17687.
smctigue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 x 42 for me but I have spider legs. Frankly, I don't use the combo very often.
smctigue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

26 x 42 for me but I have spider legs. Frankly, I don't use the combo very often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: