Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
West Mountain in Beekman/Union Vale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: West Mountain in Beekman/Union Vale Reply with quote

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/tech/science/environment/2014/09/12/west-mountain-state-park/15515825/
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Let's comment and get in touch with the ranger to offer our free trail building/maintenance services!!
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have permission to build 1 trail. There are a lot of double-wide jeep/atv trails in there, I guess for maple tapping, which is something they are trying to promote in there. Grafton Lakes SP has tapping and mountain biking and they get along swimmingly. Over 800 acres!
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! let's stay on this, though the dec moves pretty slowly...find out when we can walk a trail and mark it... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be the Debbie Downer here.

IMO, Unless Fats has a point person that will somewhat frequently use/promote the 1 mountain bike trail yet to be built at this area, I'd be cautious about what we commit to.

There are already a lot of pre-existing uses listed in the article.

If the DEC wants to continue to manage this area for maple tapping and target shooting, ect, building one trail and being on the hook for maintenance is a waste of our time.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we already have 2 official trail stewards who are mountain bikers and all of us live within 1-2 miles so we are going to go ahead and work on it. You do not have to come out and support at all if you do not want to, but we want to, so we are doing it and already have plans to get started.
MetalMike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live close to Tymor and would be willing to help.
Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for the snarky response. Rolling Eyes

I was merely playing devils advocate with the best interests of the club in mind.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin you raised a really important point and I am really glad that you brought it up. I definitely appreciate your feedback because you have many years of experience and knowledge with the club and with building awesome trails for mountain biking and advocating for the sport.

The club is looking for new areas to find places we can explore and recreate, meanwhile, the state has been encouraging use of areas that perhaps have not been utilized for their UMP specified purposes.

West Mountain is a little known gem of 800 acres that I would like to explore with whoever else is interested. Of course not everyone is able to get there given that we live over 2+ counties on both sides of the Hudson Valley. As much as I would personally love to do trail work at all of our present and established areas, I spend a lot of my time in my car and I really cannot drive out to other places to do trail work very often, or even to ride. West Mountain is very close for me and several others and this is a great way for those of us who live here to have something to work on and a place to ride at. Sure, we might only be approved for one trail to start, but as trails grow if we see greater interest, we might be given approval for more. UMPs and trail plans are always being revised and changed based on the local demographic.

I understand that the club may want to focus on specific areas, but the only required resources at this point for West Mountain include interested mountain bikers with some time on their hands and perhaps some free advertising via the club. No money is at stake and no one is being asked to spend time or travel they do not have.

When we expand as a club to new areas, new towns become involved and more people are drawn to the area. This results in increased revenue as a direct result of the proliferation of a specific activity, which the state recognizes. Expanding mountain biking to more places is good for mountain bikers all over, it is good for the towns, the county, and the state.

I am solidly for promoting mtb trails at any place where there are willing volunteers and willing foresters, state, and local officials.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalMike wrote:
I live close to Tymor and would be willing to help.

Thanks! I will post up when I have more details.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to the chair of the Town of Beekman CAC. I will be joining them for a meeting in a couple of weeks. News about West Mtn: 2 new parking areas will be added for better access. The present access on Gardner Hollow road is only accessible if you do not have a VW Golf, which is what I have. Fortunately, I can park on the property that is for sale next to the area since I have permission from the sellers/owners. They will be seriously improving that access.

There is also a right-of-way on Blueberry Hill. At the end of the cul-de-sac there is a legal right of way. The residents of that development protested that entrance since parking is only on the cul de sac, so the DEC will be building a real lot over there soon for additional access. It is an MUA and they are eager to have it used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: