Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HP trails news...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesframes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: HP trails news... Reply with quote

rode hp this afternoon and encountered a group of people on the trail- some FDR ranger types and others in suits with clipboards...in addition, some trails were marked with flags to line the routes...outer space aliens?

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. With the National Park Service taking over that parcel, I would expect some activity. They did arrange for the IMBA Trail Care Crew to come in September to do an evaluation and trail building workshop. My guess is that what you saw may be part of taking an inventory. I have another e-mail out to our NPS liaison.

Russell
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received an update from our NPS liaison. Reportedly, after over a year of
waiting, the property was suddenly transferred from Scenic Hudson to
National Park Service. NPS had to rapidly step-up ranger-based NPS programming on the site such as interpretive walks etc. The main through-road from Rte 9 to 9G will now go to contract for reconstruction, with that contract being let this year. So all of this is the reason for the upsurge in activity over there. If you run into NPS staff, you can take advantage of the opportunity to establish a relationship and promote cycling.

They are still on-track for the IMBA visit & trail assessment. Their Natural Resources person will be suggesting some potential dates for an advance meeting, in order to get going on planning.
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest. The National Park Service reps contacted me to arrange a meeting at their headquarters in Hyde Park. Fats in the Cats will have a significant role in the process of trail development there.

The plan is to spread out & look at maps & such.
The key topics will be:
- update on the current state of plans for the properties between Rtes 9 & 9G
- goals for the IMBA Trail Care Crew trail assessment & afterward
- schedule for the 3-4 days in Sept

It would be great for a couple of other club members with intimate knowledge of the area to join me at the meeting. Please get in touch with me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Russell
tom church

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any surveying work (GPS trail mapping, Property work, topo work, etc) is needed please let me know as I am a Land Surveyor!

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: