Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
909 report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse845

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the tree was there last spring. I only rode that trail a few times last year, and I don't remember it being there, but I did see it there in January. When I first saw it this spring, it was the tree by itself. I have notice that people have added smaller branches over the past few weeks to make somewhat of a "ramp" over it.
I'll leave it the way it is. I'll just keep practicing on it until I can clear it.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, leave it, before you know it you won't even remember it's there.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone added a bunch of little branches to make it easier, but I keep moving them out of the way because they are rotting and come up and can take out a derailleur. I think the branches were back the other day when we rode and we went over them, but they were seriously moving and unstable. I think it is safer to just have the one stable log instead of a whole bunch of moving logs that do not really help.
Jesse845

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode over the log today. It actually has a good bit of wear in the middle from people riding over it. I was able to clear it fine by getting more speed crossing and coming up from the stream. I agree about the little sticks around the log. They do make it dangerous and don't help and aren't necessary.

Also, Byk head needs a ski lift. My legs are jell-o. Beautiful weather and the trails are in great shape!
burtondogs

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome .

Thanks for checking before modifying trail.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big blow down on getaway. Looks like a major effort to deal (I can help) Maybe there is a line around? As going up hill to the right. It's in the middle of one of the climbs so might need some thoughts from our trail gurus . Might be a good opportunity for something fun.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomking wrote:
Big blow down on getaway. Looks like a major effort to deal (I can help) Maybe there is a line around? As going up hill to the right. It's in the middle of one of the climbs so might need some thoughts from our trail gurus . Might be a good opportunity for something fun.

I ran into that same tree on Sunday...had a picture that I didn't get around to posting. Don't suppose it might be worth the effort with a 2 man saw?
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im afraid the way it sits, it will take a least three cuts in the fatty.it's going to be a pincher. It will shift as well.

How about a switch back line just above?
lefty

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: bykehead Reply with quote

i rode down bykehead on wednesday for the millionth time and i just wanted to say thanks to those who built that trail. riding that trail down leaves with permagrin every time. in my opinion, its the best downhill around - better than blue mtn.s' rambler, ninham's firetower, graham hills and croton. BRAVO and thanks!
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: bykehead Reply with quote

lefty wrote:
i rode down bykehead on wednesday for the millionth time and i just wanted to say thanks to those who built that trail. riding that trail down leaves with permagrin every time. in my opinion, its the best downhill around - better than blue mtn.s' rambler, ninham's firetower, graham hills and croton. BRAVO and thanks!

Word.
Bikegeek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tree on Getaway is full cut and dropped on the trail. Needs another cut to be able to roll it out of the way.
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Silky work as usual... Another crew will have a go and before long, history.

Byk Hed is in its 22nd year. All the visitors on that trail, and its held up so well -makes a statement... "Byk Hed rules, aargg!"
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try and get a little trail work done on Watchamacallit...thorny bushes are really getting overgrown towards the southern end of the trail. I'll take my gas powered hedgecutter and cut it all back. Tim - trust this is ok to use a gas powered tool?

Also noticed 4-5 really muddy spots on the Beaver that seem to be getting slowly wider from the wimps who can't possibly get their bikes muddy (THE HORROR!!). Going to track down dead branches, cut them to 2' wide, and make a pathway through the middle to encourage people to ride it instead of around the mud. Also going to try and find wide shale rocks as well.

Also huge kudos to Byk Hed as well...such a fast flowy trail. Thanks to the geniuses who created it.
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome -the hedgetrimming is a great help... & less ticks brought home!!

Personally I think the pruning back is job priority number one for the next few months.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tool would you recommend for that?
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like a small hand powered pruner. And let it stay where it falls, unless it is a stick.

A machete is low on my list -you need extra care, including more tick awareness as mad slicing tends to blow them around you.

I think the top of the Cop trail was done (well) with a gas hedgetrimmer 2 years ago?
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim - no issue if I use a gas hedgetrimmer though? I have an attachment for my weed whacker that's a hedgetrimmer and extends it a good 3 feet away from me, keeping ticks away. Will let it lay where it falls.
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is fine... My advice to leave cuttings on the ground is for efficiency. I understand some might be concerned -no offense but they can join the 5% and pick it up Wink
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I'm going to start with Whatchamcallit and work from there. Pls post up where else needs to be trimmed back. Will try and get to the worst offenders in the next couple of weeks.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rode Getaway on Friday there were still some trees in the way and there was a loose rock-over that needs some help. Looks like some rocks were taken from the center of the trail and now there are holes in the trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: