Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Trail damage at the 909

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Trail damage at the 909 Reply with quote

It seems that with each Spring comes a new crop of riders testing out their skills at the 909.

With this comes a few whose skills may not be up to par with some of the trails that they are riding, so instead of imagining that they need more practice, they figure that no one can ride these tricky spots too.
This leads to serious trail damage in the form of dumbing things down to make them easier.

Lately, I've seen this in a few spots at the 909, on Timbuk2 trail in particular.

If you are engaging in this type of behavior, please stop. If you see this happening and have the time fix it, back to it's original condition, please do, you'll be a real hero.

REMEMBER, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T RIDE IT YET, DOESN'T MEAN OTHERS CAN'T.

If you come across someone doing this let them know it's not an acceptable type of trailwork.

Then take their picture so we can hunt them down and fix them. Twisted Evil
....just kidding.....really.........unless they don't stop...........
Bud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially Timbuk2 !!!
Thanks for posting this much more elegantly than I was about to.
I've got plenty of time to continue to re-block those unwanted re-routes.
I borrowed this from another site (thank you) since it is so fitting for this situation !!

80% of 909 is Intermediate .... ride those trails !
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I couldn't find the right words, but "Sissypants," hits it right on the mark. Laughing
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any newbie riders that haven't done a group ride are reading this, please join our newbie rides with Sunie D!

The group rides at a friendly pace and stops at obstacles so that you learn how to negotiate them successfully.

http://www.fatsinthecats.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4065
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is riders? The ranger at Jockey Hill did some maintenance last year that included removing some obstacles. I believe the intent was to make the trail friendlier for non-cyclists.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sure.
Rangers don't make mary lines and leave the original trail open.

..or add dirt to ramp up and over log crossings...the ranger would just cut the tree.....

....or remove stones from a stone wall crossing....etc

If you saw it you'd understand.

Last edited by Forest_biker on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, doesn't sound like a ranger. Haven't been there myself.
tim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: negative on the ranger Reply with quote

fats, i actually have a ranger that works part time for me and that is her territory, NOT rangers doing this, and they are working on some things to stop some "unwanted" users....nothing to concern us though
masterofnone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there wednesday evening and noticed many spots where someone was locking up the brakes at the top and/or bottom of a descent, any technical section, or just blowing through the turn and skidding off. I guess its not really that big of a deal, just trail ettiquette mostly.
HVmtb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masterofnone - I've seen what your describing too and I'd attribute that to the last months ultra dry and seriously fast conditions at 909. I ride there all the time and have found myself doing normal loops faster and more aggresively than in the past and combined with the dry dirt, this type of wheel induced washout is inevitble (for now).

The recent rains should help the dirt become tacky again and we will prob see less of this, plus once the leaves and underbrush fill in over there, overshooting becomes dangerous with the damn prickers! Shocked

my 2cents :
As per the "trail work" on TB2 - I agree that it was sanitized a bit much, but i disagree with putting the trail back as it was, as that might cause worse damage.

I'd suggest that we all work together to coordinate some official trail work time at 909 this season as there are lots of little hot spots and adjustments that should be done.

www.HVmtb.com

The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~John Howard
Downhill dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there Thursday and saw the dirt mound. Didnt really notice anything else since I dont ride that trail too often. And the prickers have already grown in on top! Why must they grow in first!?! Trail work there would be great, Im down.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: 909 Reply with quote

Just rude for someone to go in and start changing a trail!
I just hope we can get the word out and stop further changes. As one of the many who work on building tb2, it's crazy to think someone would go into area and do a bunch of work on an already established trail because they think it's too difficult!?!
WHO ARE YOU??? STOP IT!!! We need more technical not less! Go join Pearson and hit the rails-to-trails.(just kidding AP-who is algeric to the gut)
masterofnone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which trail is tb2? I looked for it on the map but dont know which one it is, i ride there a lot, i dont know the names of most of them.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HVmtb wrote:

my 2cents :
As per the "trail work" on TB2 - I agree that it was sanitized a bit much, but i disagree with putting the trail back as it was, as that might cause worse damage.

How would returning the trail back to it's unsanitized form cause worse damage?
Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty awesome to see Timbuktu evolve from what it was originally -the two "skid" trails that were "Buck" & "Skidder" on the old map...to what it is now...a very durable fun trail. Built legit in 2010 by the club with a few hundred hours of love & sweat.

Personally, I would rather more people pitched in with basic normal maintenance like pruning -but really, the trail is in fantastic shape. There are no blown out turns etc like one would think from the content of this thread...Its still very much just as it was, or better!

To those who close the "Mary Lines" many thanks, what I saw on todays TB2 ride was just fantastic.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Trail damage... Reply with quote

Good to hear Pedler.
My thoughts turned to how damaged Blue has gotten over the years.
Some areas have multiple lines as it gets wider, and wider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: