Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Carbon Fiber Frame in COLD Temps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Carbon Fiber Frame in COLD Temps Reply with quote

Hey all you experts out there in Fats land, this winter is the first winter I've had my carbon fiber Jekyll. Due to broken seat stay (waiting on C'dale for missing part on warranty) and fork rebuild, I haven't ridden it yet in the frigid temps. Knowing that in the cold things tend to break easier, is there a minimum temp I shouldn't ride below (say 20 deg F)? It's going to have taken better part of 3 months this time to get the frame fixed...and I don't want to break it again and have to wait another 3 months.
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a carbon frame for several winters. No issues. Airplanes are made of that stuff these days and it's pretty cold at 35,000 ft!
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that stuff different type of carbon fiber? If you guys haven't had any issues, I'm not going to sweat it. Just going to work on losing a few pounds so that it's less stress on the frame!
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop buying cannondales that break then take forever to be fixed! that's poor customer service!
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's bad customer service...however, I bought it used (from shop mechanic), which technically should void the warranty. But because they are replacing under warranty, I can't complain too much.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's bad customer service...however, I bought it used (from shop mechanic), which technically should void the warranty. But because they are replacing under warranty, I can't complain too much.
masterofnone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a cf bike for years (trek 9800) and through many winters, no worries. If anything the newer generations of carpet fiber should be even stronger. I still have the bike but it's serving duty as a commuter/rail trail/winter roadie these days.
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years ago I had one of the longest lived Ravens around @ 2 years. It wasnt the cold that got it. I got 3.5 frames for that one because it was sold new.

Downhill dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ole Cannondale. My bud just got a new Moto carbon frame under warranty because the first one cracked at the bottom bracket. Good luck with the Jeckyl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: