Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Let's Play... "What's in your Camelbak"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Let's Play... "What's in your Camelbak" Reply with quote

Just curious to see what everyone carries in their Camelbak (or backpack). It's a good way for me to get a pulse on what I should be carrying and what could come in handy down the road. Hey, ya never know!

I'll start:

Water (tee hee)
TP
Chapstick
Spare tube & flat tools
Air pump
GermX wipes
Cliff Bar and/or GORP
Car key

I still have a lot of extra room to stash other important items that I'm sure I'm missing Smile
Bud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I could've eaten two of those after yesterdays ride!!!
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

I don't carry a backpack anymore...but I do carry a spare tube, tire levers, multi-tool, small pair of channel locks (remember the pedal on Dawn's bike? That size should fit every bolt on a bike), spare derailleur hanger, and extra sram gold link, all in a conveniently size saddle bag. Put the pump in my jersey pocket. I've been known on some occasions to try and carry beer, but that usually doesn't work well (gets too heavy so I have to stop and drink it all).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefmatesam wrote:
Is this a I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

I don't carry a backpack anymore...but I do carry a spare tube, tire levers, multi-tool, small pair of channel locks (remember the pedal on Dawn's bike? That size should fit every bolt on a bike), spare derailleur hanger, and extra sram gold link, all in a conveniently size saddle bag. Put the pump in my jersey pocket. I've been known on some occasions to try and carry beer, but that usually doesn't work well (gets too heavy so I have to stop and drink it all).

It could end up being a show me yours and vice versa situation Laughing

Wow! That's a lot to fit in that saddle bag.

I like the beer thing Very Happy Maybe I should fill my Camelbak with beer instead of water Laughing
Sunie D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spare tube, tire levers, multi-tool, spare derailleur hanger, energy honey goo, band-aids, epi pens, benadryl, shot block, maps, pump, depending on the day.. maybe a brownie, Bud even that burger looked like a yummy fit.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds familiar...

http://www.fatsinthecats.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1795&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=carry
Sunie D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha thats too funny..now it's the next generation so to speak.. doesn't seem much has changed but I did realize I forgot to mention a few things after reading the link.. Thanks for that added smile..
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised no one really carries channel locks...when I used to go to sea, they were the only tool I carried in my back pocket, but had a million uses. Saved me many a trip walking back from the bow of the ship to the workshop in the house. Or in the bottom of a ballast tank and a 40' trip up a ladder....
masterofnone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeow, call me a wuss but I'd never use channel locks on any part of a bike. Well, maybe to pull a brake or shifter cable tight I guess, but I prefer my topeak alien and mini pliers. OK, I'll play too. How 'bout a spare pair of dry socks and plenty of emergency heat packs in wintertime? Wet and numb frozen toes aren't much fun, especially at night, riding solo, several miles from your car. I know I'm not the only one who packs a folding saw in springtime or after big storms.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest_biker wrote:
This sounds familiar...

http://www.fatsinthecats.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1795&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=carry

OMG...did I just commit the epic "fail" by not doing a search first??? Embarrassed!

I am still amazed by what people carry. As I learn, this is so valuable! It's like packing for vacation Very Happy
joshuacoyote

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: In the pack Reply with quote

In addition to the tools and etc- I carry first aid stuff for crashes, a few different sizes of zip ties, and rain gear on risky days, or night rides. Alternate tuesdays , I have dancing shoes in the car for the band at the high falls cafe after the ride.
Berto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip ties 26 and 29 tube, shock pump, compass, map, swiss army knife, bandana, multi tool, tire levers,
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duct tape...just a little can go a long way
pinklewurst (tschneller)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Camleback has water, tools and crap ....the other has a long handsaw and a machete...for brush work.
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 29er set ups have so far been easy with 26" tubes (to ride out), so as I switch bikes I keep the 26 tube...& hangers in the pack.
paetersen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a camelbak but my jersey pockets:
a tube
a very small pump
a tyre lever
some snacks

I like to think that I live by the idea that proper maintenance will forgo the need to carry anything else. My friends will point out that I ride bikes that are so old and simple they can't break.
Downhill dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sack.. Shocked

chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paetersen wrote:

I like to think that I live by the idea that proper maintenance will forgo the need to carry anything else. My friends will point out that I ride bikes that are so old and simple they can't break.

I agree with that creedo! I carry a couple of spare chain pins for my chain and that's about it for spare parts. I used to carry a spare derailleur hanger, but since I have a carbon fiber frame bike now, I have the feeling the CF would break before the hanger. Anyone else with experience please correct me if I'm wrong!!
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go fairly light. Small under-seat bag with multi-tool, CO2 Cartridge, CO2 Inflater, tire levers & tube. Only things in my pack are usually a phone & water. I'm okay jogging a few miles out of the woods once a year if needed...I would rather go for a run than carry a ton of stuff on every ride!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: