Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Slightly more expensive inexpensive light recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oh_blinding_light

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Slightly more expensive inexpensive light recommendations Reply with quote

I recently bought one of these lights from CygoLite: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_541018_-1___202550

It is a pretty decent light for the money.

The specified run time (2 hours on boost, 3 on high) seems conservative.

The beam pattern is OK, not great. I don't have much experience riding after dark with the light, but can tell from the shape of the beam on my basement wall that it is more of a spot than a flood. It has enough spill around the spot that it might let you notice incoming branches etc.

It will probably work better as a helmet mounted light than a handlebar light for trail riding. It works pretty well as a handlebar light for road riding, cars seem to notice the flashing mode, and even around noon it lights up traffic signs if you and the sign are both in the shade. I'll try to do some after dark rides in the coming weeks to give a better review of how it works after sunset.

The handlebar mount was a bit disappointing. A piece of stick back rubber that should have stuck to the mount was not very sticky. I have a large assortment of sticky back foam from my experiments building my own lights and that worked well to help stabilize the light. If you don't have a handy sticky foam collection I suspect electrical tape on your handlebars would work.

I briefly tried the helmet mount and it seems better than the handlebar mount. The light is not heavy enuff that it pitches your helmet forward or backwards. The mount stays fairly tight, yet you can easily change where it throws light with one hand while riding. I'll provide more feedback after my next night ride with this light.

There is a more advanced version of this light on sale at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/835276/cygolite-expilion-410-usb-bike-light for less than I paid for mine.

This is not the time of year most folks think about buying lights, but it is usually a good time to shop for bargains.

OBL

Last edited by oh_blinding_light on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jamesframes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks obl---a trip to the REI website landed me a minewt 600 cordless for 100 bucks!

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
oh_blinding_light

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had known about the REI sale before I bought the one I did. Oh well, I needed a light that had a bright strobe mode and I had a free shipping coupon from Nashbar.

The strobe mode seems to work well. At dusk (and even during the day), cars slow down and get over toward the side of the road when approaching, which is what you want.

jamesframes - Next time we get together after dark (probably some race at Lippman Park) let's compare beam patterns.\

OBL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: