Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Trailbuilding 6/2 Highland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Trailbuilding 6/2 Highland Reply with quote

With your help, one final push and we'll have a cool new place to ride! These are trails the bike club has designed (they'll be fun to hike too!)
Park Here, we'll walk in with tools provided -or bring your favorite...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=41.719007,-73.978075&num=1&t=m&z=16

Events and Outings
Sat, Jun 02, 2012
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
National Trails Day Event
Scenic Hudson Spring Outings

Thanks to great support from the Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club and Scenic Hudson volunteers, work is nearly done on Illinois Mountain’s multi-use trail system. On National Trails Day, help us complete a few finishing touches—including the installation of several footbridges—while enjoying a sneak peek at the final link that will connect Illinois Mountain to the Hudson Valley Rail Trail.Then at 2 p.m. join a guided mountain bike ride or hike along the new trails to try out our handiwork.

For the work session, wear long pants and sturdy closed-toed shoes or hiking boots. Bring plenty of water, bug spray, sun block, gloves and lunch. All tools will be provided by Scenic Hudson. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.

Those interested in the guided hike should bring additional water and a snack. The four-mile trek will be moderately strenuous, taking about two hours to complete.

If you’re interested in the guided mountain bike ride, please be advised that these trails are difficult. All participants must have a well-functioning mountain bike, a helmet, gloves and additional water. Moving at a social pace, the four-mile ride should take about an hour to complete. For your safety, equipment must pass an onsite inspection and all riders must be able to show they have control of their bike or they will be advised to not ride the trails. All riders must be at least 16 years of age, and riders under 18 will need to be accompanied by an adult.

MEETING PLACE: Berean Park

QUESTIONS? Contact Scenic Hudson Parks Event and Volunteer Coordinator Anthony Coneski: [email protected], 845-473-4440 x273
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will work for trails... Hope to see you too!!
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out and get some---you're local spots need you!

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
PatH

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in!
[/quote]
PatH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna have to bail on this one, feeling a little under the weather and don't want to get worse. Sorry Crying or Very sad
exbmxer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy out there, but I assume the work is still on. A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face.
Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, still a go.
If its any condensation, its a beautiful mountain setting Mr. Green
Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word from Scenic Hudson is that its on.

If people get there late and want to find us -park at Berean. Walk through the gates with the "No hiking, biking...etc" sign up the dirt service road. After a few minutes proceed on the road past the White trail on left, about 500 feet up the road is the Blue trail. Follow & you'll find.
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...how did it go?
roadrider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the crappy weather we had 10-12 turn out tx to scenic hudson. If ya want to hike it, go ahead, it needs some tweaking on the top half for riding. This will never be an easy trail on a bike, there are two stretches where the grade is at least 15% for 500' or more.

If the person who laid this out has a mountain bike, he's a sadist for sure. Perhaps some day he can take his skill at designing a descending trail that manages to go uphill and make us an ascending trail that goes downhill Laughing

Here's the track starting at the water plant up the road then blue top to bottom.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186047727
jamesframes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoaaa easy there...

Before strong words concerning the trail layout and skill level required are thrown out into the cybersphere, a few things to note-

One, the trail is not complete. New trails are often tough going until they are "burned" in. User input over time may be useful in tweaking sections of the trail that prove to be problematic for a variety of reasons.

Two, with all due respect...your handle is "roadrider" and I know from our conversations that you are on the newer side of the mountain bike world. It may take some time saddle time to really get a sense of what makes a good trail, what riders can ride, and what riders enjoy.

Three, not for nothing, but a 15 percent grade for limited sections does fall within acceptable limits following the IMBA guidelines of sustainable trails. http://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building/designing-and-building-sustainable-trails

With that said, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and yes, the trail will be fun to hike too. You hard efforts will not be in vain-

Very Happy

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY

Last edited by jamesframes on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy who laid out the trail (who ever that was) is sort of sadistic.
roadrider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, there should have been a smiley next to the the guy who laid out the trail, because it was said in jest. He's done a great job. In fact I salute the 1% that spend countless hours setting these things up. The S turn he built on the bottom is TOTALLY AWESOME!

Yah, I spend a lot more time on the road bike, but I bought my first mountain bike in 1986; fully rigid before it was chic Cool
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lucked out with the weather. The trail is fully blazed & leaf blown, with some tweaks left that Id call it 90% done. I'll be riding up there weeknights and posting soon from Po'k -maybe do some riding & work.

You could say the 4+ miles of Illinois Mt singletrack is quality over quantity. There's more to come depending on how people take to it. Thanks to the people who helped. And of course to Scenic Hudson (250 acres) & the town of LLoyd (250 acres).

Thanks Ranger Carley for the pictures:

Downhill dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks to all who built this. Today was my second ride there and I love this trail! Is it insane in some spots? I think so. But thats why I love it! My first ride was a day after we had storms. I dont reccomend riding this trail wet, its a bitch! I think theres some spots that need tweaking but if people ride it it will become better. This definately is not a beginner or even beginner/intermediate trail in my opinion. The rocks are just way too technical for someone that just started riding. Theres many a rock that are hiding in wait to send you over the bars. Lol. 160mm has helped prevent this for me but I fear for those with shorter travel. Anyways, thanks again to those who built this beast. Hope to see you there!
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for commenting!

Another trail workday(s) is planned -but enjoy it as it evolves. The next date will be posted this summer... Yes, when its wet the Blue trail is especially tough -ROCKS.

More trails will be approved if people use them &/or show up workdays. There's potential in those hills!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: