Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Small Game HUNTING opens October 1st (this Saturday)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beverlee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Small Game HUNTING opens October 1st (this Saturday) Reply with quote

so if you ride on State Lands it is a good idea to wear some orange. Expect to see hunters parked in some of the lots, and be mindful of who/what you ride up on. Hunting opens at sunrise for pheasant, turkey and small game. More details on seasons/ species/ dates at dec website.
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, here is a direct link if you are feeling lazy:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/huntingseasons1112.pdf
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok this is probably a bit of a dumb newbie question...how safe is it to ride 909 and other state lands open to hunting (with proper orange colors, etc.)? This is the first fall I'll be riding...and am a bit on the nervous side. Number of years ago when I lived in NH, had some moron from Boston shoot at my Jeep (was off-roading on state primitive road). Pisst him off when I layed on the horn for a good 45 secs...told him it pisst me off being shot at. So as you can imagine, I'm a bit nervous, but I don't want to give up riding for the next month because some drunk moron thinks I'm something he/she wants to mount on their wall.
Bud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are as safe as the "stability" of the person with the finger on the trigger. (Or bow string)
I'm sure we have all come across hunters that are cordial and others that have been uncivil. Remember these are 'multiple use areas' and they have the same right to be there as we do. Use your own discretion, if you go wear bright orange, ride in groups of 3 or more etc.
909 typically has very few bow hunters, but when shot gun season opens the best advice is to ride at night (and drink plenty of Guinness those extra carbs assist night vision).
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, how very true!! Bow hunters seem to be a little less prone to shooting anything that moves...shotgun hunters seem to think anything that moves is ok to shoot. I know I ran across someone who was very difficult...but I know there are very responsible hunters out there who are nice. Because I don't own a light yet (aside from duct taping a couple of flashlights to my helmet) I won't do any night riding. Was hoping someone might know of a couple of places to ride this fall once the shot hunters get started. Easier to just avoid it for me.
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefmatesam wrote:
Was hoping someone might know of a couple of places to ride this fall once the shot hunters get started. Easier to just avoid it for me.

Check out this topic from last year:
http://www.fatsinthecats.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3293&highlight=hunting
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill! I did a search as well, but must have missed that thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: