Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hydraulic Brake Fluid on Pads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Hydraulic Brake Fluid on Pads Reply with quote

Ok...did a really dumb newb thing while bleeding my hydraulic brakes. Got some brake fluid on one of the pads...is it kaput? I thoroughly cleaned it with brake cleaner, but not sure if that's going to do the trick...am I screwed?
paetersen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flush with lots of water- brake fluid is hygroscopic. Then hit it with brake cleaner and let it dry thoroughly. If you haven't let it soak or used the pads with fluid on them you should be ok.
paetersen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and in the future always bleed brakes with the spacers in instead of the pads.
Bikegeek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw them away and get new ones.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7570582_happens-fluid-gets-brake-pads.html
paetersen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while that is the safest path there really isn't anything dangerous about cleaning them thoroughly and testing them. Unlike automotive brake discs (which are cast iron and therefore porous) bike brake discs are stainless steel and will not be adversely affected by trying to test cleaned but potentially contaminated pads. The worst that can happen is the pads were soaked and you will have less than stellar braking power. However, like everything else in life, it takes time for the brake fluid to soak into the pads. If it was a little bit of fluid and it was quickly removed and cleaned up you should not have anything to fear.

At the very least go out in a safe area and do a few tests of emergency braking. Get the pads hot. If they work well you are fine.
soundz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could try a sponge and water with some dish wash liquid (Dawn).
Bikegeek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also (seriously) scrub them with a cleaner and then light the pad to burn off the fluid.

Best bet is replacement.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great advice! Was more off a dumbass on this one...I had left the pads in from my last bleeding attempt and left everything where it was from a week ago...and just started up and forgot they were still in the caliper (DUH). I did give them a good flushing, and I think I'll put some dawn on the pads as well, then give it a good hosing with brake cleaner and see how it does. Definitely replacing is the best way to go, damn things are pretty much new with less than 1/2 mile on them...so I'm going to give it a go without replacing for now. If it gives me a problem, I'll just have to replace them. This bleeding has been one helluva learning experience...but I think I finally got it down.

I did get it cleaned up fairly quickly...as soon as I saw that the pads were in (and went oh crap) I hosed the caliper with brake cleaner to get it off the pads, then reached in and pulled them out and cleaned them further with the brake cleaner. I followed the earlier advice and did flush with further with water, then another spray of brake cleaner. I definitely did not have much time on the pad...I gave it a quick test and it made a nasty groaning noise when I braked, but it did hold. I'll flush it one more time tonight, give the pad a wash with dawn, another round of brake cleaner, and re-install. I thankfully have a good hill in my neighborhood to test them on and get them good and hot...and I suppose we'll see what happens.

thanks again everyone for the great advice!!
tom church

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all pads are steel...some are made of organic or other materials. Our experience in the shop is that you can clean them to work...but never as good as replacing them, and sometimes you just can't make them work again. When they do work they usually squeak and sometimes chatter. We replace them if contaminated...both on our customers and personal bikes.

It does not take long for oil to get into them. We have found that minuets can be all it takes and if you use them before you get to clean them...done...

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: