Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Public FDR trail system planning meeting-Tues Apr 19 6p-8p
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjhilde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Public FDR trail system planning meeting-Tues Apr 19 6p-8p Reply with quote

ATTENTION: The Mon Apr 18 meeting is by INVITATION ONLY so please do not show up unless you received a request from Dave Hayes. Sorry of the confusion. There is a separate public session on Tues Apr 19 6p-8p, details below:

Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites

We Want Your Input

Dear Friends,

The National Park Service is undertaking a plan to guide development and use of the trail system at the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites in Hyde Park, New York. The project will include the trails at the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site (Val-Kill), and the Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site.

The goal of the Trail Plan is to lay the groundwork for a comprehensive, well-designed, sustainable trail system which provides a variety of visitor experiences that support the parks’ missions.

The project involves several stages. These include data collection and evaluation of existing conditions, public outreach, exploration of alternatives for the trail system, and the assessment of environmental impacts of the options considered. To view a project information sheet, visit…

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/trail_master_plan

…and select the “Document List” tab.

We invite broad public involvement in the development of the plan. You are invited to participate in a general public meeting on Tuesday evening, April 19th at the Henry Wallace Center from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

We value your input. Thank you for helping us to uphold and advance the enduring legacy of these special places.

Sincerely,
Sarah Olson
Superintendent

Last edited by fjhilde on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
fjhilde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Perhaps we should all show up on our bikes? Reply with quote

Maybe raise the awareness of bicyclists by showing a strong contingent of cyclists via our bikes & attire?
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hyde Park: FDR trail system planning meeting Reply with quote

fjhilde wrote:
The goal of the Trail Plan is to lay the groundwork for a comprehensive, well-designed, sustainable trail system which provides a variety of visitor experiences that support the parks’ missions.

Comments and discussion should keep in mind the 2010 General Management Plan for the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt Historic Sites. There is alot of relevant information in the document, it's worth a read:
http://www.nps.gov/vama/parkmgmt/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=306664

Russell
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for the Monday Bike Focus group!
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will likely attend.
fjhilde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Public meeting is on Tues Apr 19 Reply with quote

Turns out the Mon Apr 18 meeting is for a small set of invited guests and not the general public. The public meeting is going to be on Tues Apr 19, 6p-8p.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly out of town both days.

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Monday by invite only....

I guess some people are more important than others.
Bob62

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest_biker wrote:

Sounds like a special meeting, not a Keegan get together? Some times less is more when you are negotiating. I am sure the attendees will do what is in our best interest.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flman wrote:
Forest_biker wrote:

Sounds like a special meeting, not a Keegan get together? Some times less is more when you are negotiating. I am sure the attendees will do what is in our best interest.

Who are the attendees? What are they negotiating?
Your sure "they," (the unknown people) will do what's in your best interest?

I'd prefer to hear it for myself.
pinklewurst (tschneller)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to be there on Tues. in my chef whites and talk about the value of a good trail system for college students and faculty. TUES 6 - 8 and bring your postive volunteering self Razz .... not your vindictive, I hate all government organization self Evil or Very Mad .
And how about some thanks for those who are getting our foot back in this door?
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope my tone didn't sound vindictive when I'm merely concerned about decisions involving my riding on public land.

Forum threads are usually filled with a lot of opinions which don't always see eye to eye.
Attendance at the meeting is worth more than any hot air and keyboard tapping here.
The important thing is the meeting Tuesday and the amount of bikers who are willing to show up and support each other.

See you guys there.

How about any others?

Last edited by Forest_biker on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that cyclists will be included both days. A small gathering will be held Monday to work on key issues/talking points (not sure what they are)-a few fats board members were invited.

Tuesday is the day to have a big showing.

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
fjhilde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Well, 1) sorry about mixup, me bad 2) FTC represented Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm sorry to have caused the hard feelings I've seen about the FDR NPS meeting in HP next week. I did not realize that there would be 2 meetings; the 2nd public meeting invitation came out days after the 1st and thus my misunderstanding. Trust me that FTC will be represented at the Mon meeting. The limit on invites is to have a more focused session to review plans and establish actions. I can't say for certain what this is all about, need the event to happen. For the most part the people that were invited are those that have been in contact and worked with the FDR NPS for and since our IMBA event.
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bikesnotbombs.org/
cfury

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in riding bikes on or around Roosevelt and Vanderbilt historic sites this is your chance to provide input to the Roosevelt-Vanderbilt Trails Master Plan. Please come out for this meeting tonight from 6pm-8pm at the Henry A. Wallace visitor center in Hyde Park.

For more information please check out: http://parkplanning.nps.gov/trail_master_plan

Open comment period is 04/18/2011 - 05/31/2011.
fjhilde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Meeting Minutes from Mon Apr 18, 2011 Reply with quote

Hi,
It was a good meeting last night. The purpose was to discuss the creation of a trail use master plan by the FDR NPS. This endeavor is being supported by a consultant group, VHB (think this is the website: http://www.vhb.com/experience.asp?pagename=NPS) which has expertise in transportation and its planning. It was a small group participating in this focus meeting and the dialog was quite constructive.

After introductions we got down to business, reviewing some of the activities we had done there with IMBA, reviewed the trail map that was used back then, along with marking up a more recent map of the park and surrounding area. The scope of the discussions was quite broad. Topics included access to trails for bicycles, shared use, making loops throughout the park and surrounding area (both on and off road) up to Vanderbilt and Norrie and down to CIA, Marist, Walkway and Dutchess rail trail, reviewed existing trails in and around FDR (St. Andrews, Winnakee, Pine Woods, FDR property west of Rt 9. Many pages of notes were taken during these discussions from which a report will be developed which will also include feedback from this evenings meeting.

The overall time line for this Trail Master Plan, http://parkplanning.nps.gov/trail_master_plan and select the “Document List” tab is (1) obtain public input, - now (2) Develop preliminary draft trails master plan - Spring/Summer 2011. (3) Draft trails master plan - Summer/Fall 2011, (4) Public meeting & review period - Fall 2011, (4) Final trails master plan - End of 2011

This is a good opportunity for us to be constructive participants in this trail planning process, continuing our work with the FDR NPS, and hopefully someday in the near future have access to more great trails.
fjhilde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI again,
The meeting this evening was another constructive exchange between the NPS and their team, the FTC crew (5 of us), and another interested party from the Hyde Park Trails Committee. Access to trails for bicycles was the theme and highlighting considerations for this purpose; sharing of trails with other users, linking in with other properties and trail systems (walkway, rail trail, CIA, Vanderbilt, Norrie, etc.). Another topic of interest was the stewardship of the trails which is important for many reasons, as we know, and thanks to our clubs focus in this area, and hard work, we have a positive reputation which was recognized.

The time line for the plan is this first comment period which ends May 31, 2011, so take some time and review and send in your ideas. After this comment period ends there will be another draft to review with public input.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a good meeting, another step towards gaining more access in the Hyde Park area.

I'd like to thank Frank and those more closely involved in this process for carrying the torch for this process.

However, on a rainy night with a meeting across from a brewery, only five bikers showed...................

26 volunteers showed for Bike Swap
5 people showed for a meeting concerning trail access
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this *public* meeting not been scheduled on the second seder night of Passover, which is generally widely observed by even non-observant Jews such as myself, I would have been there. [would you go to a meeting on Easter Sunday? I would, I don't celebrate that... but I would not schedule a meeting on Easter Sunday because I would know better...]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: