Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GREAT NEWS for Hyde Park Trails! IMBA Subaru Trail Care Crew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: GREAT NEWS for Hyde Park Trails! IMBA Subaru Trail Care Crew Reply with quote

GREAT NEWS for Hyde Park Trails! IMBA Subaru Trail Care Crew

I just learned that from the National Park Service (NPS) that the Hyde Park Trails Committee and Roosevelt-Vanderbilt National Historic Sites were successful in a bid to host the IMBA Subaru Trail Care Crew for 4 days in Hyde Park. They had applied through a "General Agreement" signed between IMBA and NPS. This will be one of only 5 or 6 National Parks around the country that will receive IMBA consultation during 2007. The tentative plan has them spending about 4 days in Hyde Park, from Thurs Sept 13 to Sun Sept 16th, 2007.

The NPS and Hyde Park Trails Committee hope that Fats in the Cats will be able to join them for as much of that as possible. My contact would like to meet with us soon, to begin planning. They asked IMBA to focus on the area between Rtes 9 and 9G, starting from the trailhead just north of the Hyde Park Brewery - - to help them do a "trail assessment" of that area. The 334-acre parcel there is now owned by Scenic Hudson, but will be transferred to NPS sometime this spring. The primary woods road through the site is planned for eventual upgrading so that an NPS vehicle could shuttle visitors between the FDR and Val-Kill sites. But NPS and the HPT Committee are interested in the rest of the trails there: where and how to maintain a sustainable, productive and enjoyable mix of nonmotorized trail use. That's where they need our help, and IMBA's too.

This will be a wonderful opportunity for us to work cooperatively in Hyde Park to insure future riding there that we can expand upon. We should also all be able to learn alot from the IMBA Subaru Trail Care Crew. Hoping to have lots of us involved!

Russell
trekkie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet Cool
that is great news nice trail network there
could only get better and that is awesome Very Happy Very Happy
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
My understanding of how IMBA does this is in managing and guiding the local manpower, the more local people show up, the better the results Exclamation
To me it would be ideal to work on the area between route 9 and the river, where there is presently no singletrack. The terrain there has many features to create very interesting and scenic trail. It would also help in deterring ATV use due to its slightly more rugged terrain. Whereas the area between 9 and 9g is inundated with trails that seem to need minimal attention. I believe a large volunteer turnout could be provided to the powers that be wherever trail work is deemed necessary. I hope that people who are not Fats in the Cats members yet will join so we can show the potential for an even stronger workforce!
burtondogs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

This sounds like very good news.

Ive only ridden over there a few times, but that is a sweet forest.
tom church

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great!!! I have been wanting to participate in one of these!!
fjhilde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Count me in, please! Reply with quote

This is fantastic news. Hope that it develops into something valuable for all of us. I'd like to participate in these activities.
bike this

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definately looking forward to it, sounds like a great
experience. And it's sooooo close to home. Bonus.. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: