Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
sticky fox fork

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloJoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: sticky fox fork Reply with quote

I just recently bought a used 2008 fox f100. It seems very stiff. If you bounce on it, it seems as though it "catches" then releases then it feels normal for a split second. After that it seems stiff and i only get 1/4 of the travel. I was told that if a fork has been sitting a while the oil may need coat everything all over again. According to the guy I bought it from it sat for a long time. Has anyone experienced this? Does it need a rebuild or re-oiled? Any input is great. Thanks.
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bad action happened while sitting I'd ride it and expect an improvement in a few miles.
If no change or worsening then Id think about new seals & oil while inspecting the internals.
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil spew is the classic sign of seals that need replacing. If you have an oily/dirt buildup on the base of the stanchions you likely have an oil leak. And maybe a trip to your LBS is in order.
stevelei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Fox forks were known to have seal issues and stiction. After riding all winter in sub zero temps I think my Fox fork is in need of servicing as well. I bought my fork early last year. It was working very nice out of the box no stiction but after my last ride recently at Jockey it wasn't feeling so great.

Fox likes to do servicing in house so you may need to send it back to them. I have used a fork service center for other fork manufactures which yield a faster turn around time but Fox won't allow this company to work on Fox forks preferring their product to be returned to them.
190 Main Street
Saugerties, NY 12477
845-246-1492
www.revolutionbikesny.com
SloJoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input. I will be taking it to the LBS today.
tom church

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a BBI certified suspension tech and we can do most suspension service in-house. It'll take us about 2 weeks if I don't have the seals in stock vs the average 6-8 weeks with Fox. Seals and oil are easy and we can rebuild dampers if needed.

I didn't see the part about the 1/4 travel before...Is the fork an RL or RLC? It could be a bunch of things but I would bet that the seals on the air piston are are shot and it probably needs lube on that side as well. Most Fox dampers are sealed but they are rebuildable, you just need some special tools. The lockout could be a problem to but I'd start with the air spring side.

Most of the guys who work for me race DH and rebuild their forks 2-3 times a year so we are all experienced. Fox, Rockshox, Marzocchi, and Manitou (although they can be a bit more difficult of you need older parts). We can do some Cannondale forks but they require a lot of special parts from C'Dale so you'd have to call us to check.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: