Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Welcome to May! It's National Bike Month!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this guy isn't participating this week Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8nozp7vs8

Enjoy the ride home everyone...the rain will pass soon.
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that guy gets it.

Rain...now that adds a wrinkle to bike commuting. Sad
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode today! Shocked It's a big 4 mile commute (taking the senic route). I wish I could do it more.
silvachelle

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
I guess this guy isn't participating this week Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8nozp7vs8

Enjoy the ride home everyone...the rain will pass soon.

Thanks, Kevin, for getting my blood pressure up so early in the morning. I just wrote my brother-in-law, who works for Sen. Dole (R-N.Carolina), and asked him if he would introduce me the next time we come down so I can run him over with my Schwinn.

But seriously- DC has a FABULOUS metro system, bus system, etc, but nobody who works on The Hill uses it because they get free parking. It disgusts me.
leotio

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad part is that the majority of americans are so brainwashed that they would be in agreement with Mc Henry's statements. Bikes are part of the 'tough love' rehab that america needs to curb its addiction to cars and oil. McHenry is just another brainwashed tool

http://www.cars-suck.org/
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'd agree that riding a bike whenever possible is not going to solve the problem entirely but, how ignorant can he be? Confused I guess the republican stance is that we Americans should continue to live up to our worldwide reputation as fat and lazy. Eat and sit around stagnant until you’re so fat that you have to drive a Ford Excursion because you can’t fit into anything smaller. I've was a whiteness this very thing just last week. I watched a person pull up right in front of a pizza place in a local strip mall, park in the fire zone, squeeze out of their enormous SUV and waddle inside. Wow! Shocked Kind of makes me proud. Embarassed
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Michelle Smile

More reading...

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN1556311320080515

By Jon Hurdle

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - It's U.S. National Bike to Work Day on Friday and Americans are facing record high gasoline prices, but most commuters will stick to their cars.

The combination of gas near $4 a gallon and the annual campaign to get people to pedal to work may prompt a few more people than usual to commute on two wheels.

But the majority won't consider the bicycle as a regular means of transport because they simply have too far to go and feel nervous about riding on traffic-choked streets, bicycling advocates and dedicated motorists say.

"It's never just a matter of picking up a few things you could carry on your bike," said Crystal Kelson, 33, a nurse and mother from North Philadelphia. "You need a car."

Kelson said there was no real alternative to her Dodge Charger -- which now costs her $65 a week in gasoline -- even for short trips to the supermarket.

According to the National Sporting Goods Association, the number of Americans who bike "frequently" -- 110 days a year or more -- fell almost 10 percent in 2007 to 3.7 million people.

Similarly, the number of people who ride bikes at least six times a year fell to 35.6 million in 2006, the lowest since the survey began in 1984, from 56.3 million in 1995.

Thomas Doyle, vice president of information and research at the association, said the decline was probably due to the aging population, reluctance by parents to allow children to ride bikes and more children using wheeled toys such as scooters and skateboards.

The proportion of personal trips made by bike is less than 1 percent, according to the League of American Bicyclists, a Washington-based advocacy group.

That compares with 27 percent in the Netherlands and 18 percent in Denmark, both of which have networks of bike-only paths, bike lanes and calm streets where people of all ages can feel safe riding.

SIGNS OF A TURNAROUND

Still, American bicycle advocates said there are signs the trend could be reversed, prompted most recently by gas prices, and by concerns over climate change, air pollution, energy security and personal health.

"All the indications are that people are looking at cycling and other transportation alternatives, and gas prices are pushing them to do that," said Andy Clarke, executive director of the League of American Bicyclists.

Some American cities including Portland, Oregon, and Washington have higher rates of bike use than the national average thanks to bike-friendly infrastructure.

In Philadelphia, the jump in gas prices has become the "tipping point" for getting more people on their bikes, said Alex Doty, director of the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia.

He said bike use in the city rose 25 percent in 2007 and is up 6 percent this year, but only 1.4 percent of personal trips in Philadelphia are made by bike, compared with 30 percent in Amsterdam.

Jesse Gould, a salesman at Assenmacher's Cycling Center in Flint, Michigan, said more people are buying bikes for commuting.

"Gas prices give them a kick, but the big thing that makes them start riding to work is that they see their friends doing it," Gould said.

Edgar Gil bikes seven miles to work in Washington from his home in Arlington, Virginia, every day. He will be making the trip -- about 60 percent of which is on traffic-free bike paths -- on Bike to Work Day to show seven coworkers how he does it.

Gil, 35, said biking saves about $100 a month in bus fares, and, despite the traffic and pollution, he simply likes to ride.

"You enjoy it more, you get to work relaxed," he said. "You have a better day."

Catherine Williams, a retiree, filled her Cadillac with $3.77 gasoline at a BP station in North Philadelphia for a 50-mile (80-km) roundtrip to the doctor's office. She said she uses public transportation when she can, but wouldn't feel safe on a bike.

"This is the U.S. and people will kill you out there riding your bike," she said. "I would not take my life in my hands and ride a bike."

(Editing by Doina Chiacu)
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leotio wrote:
McHenry is just another brainwashed tool

You should click on the other related videos in that link!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: